Thursday, October 28, 2010

Green

Green

I have always heard that Marriott International was a leader in green living, but to actually be a part of it now and to see it firsthand has been quite an impressive experience.
The properties themselves have always impressed me with their linen reuse programs, recyclable room amenities, earth friendly options for chemicals and emails that read “Go Green, keep it on the screen”. But this week while training at the Marriott International Headquarters, I heard a very loud voice, and the language it spoke was called Green.
I was told that headquarters employs 2000 people. At each desk, there is a larger recycle bin trash can, and a small basket hanging over the edge for non-recycables. When it comes down to it, you’d be amazed at how few things end up in the non-recyclable bin.
In the kitchen, there were trash cans for recyclables, compost, and non recyclables – the latter of which was usually empty. While being trained, the Chef said often “We chose this option because it was more environmentally friendly” and this made me proud. Kitchens, in my experience, tend to not care about such things. They discussed packaging, chemicals – both for cleaning and for produce, and even water waste.
It isn’t that I am a tree-hugger. Far from it. But waste is really just that... unnecessary. Even the staunchest of republicans should realize that there is something everyone can do.  If I can do my small part to recycle, I will. Even at home, when the larger recycle bins were delivered to our home, we make a much more gallant effort towards recycling than ever before.
A few more things I noticed…

Parking is sparse at headquarters, but there are special spots for those who carpool to work, or for those who drive smart cars. The more people in your vehicle, the closer to the door you can park.
I personally witnessed one of the chef’s walk into a meeting room and unplug everything that was not in use, even crawling under a table to do so.
Pictures to guide non-English speaking employees of which recycle bin items should go in
Green supplies everywhere you look. I picked up a plastic fork and sure enough, made from recyclables and can be recycled again.
Recycling containers in all of the hallways and meeting rooms
And a few more I found online:
Automatic, low-flowing faucets and toilets reduced Marriott’s total water consumption by 17%.

100% biodegradable cafeteria materials leave no permanent environmental footprint

Improved scrap metal program salvaged 116,000 pounds of metal

Energy-efficient lighting yielded $155,000 in savings in electricity expenses

Enhanced energy management system decreased energy consumption by 3%.

New pallet recycling program diverts construction debris from landfills

Created a network of donation organizations, reducing the building’s total waste.

Hybrid vehicles granted preferential parking to encourage their use

Sustainable products, including paper and cleaning products, eliminates 20 tons of waste annually

Desk side recycling program recycles 90% of office waste

Building wide composting program ensures waste is sent to a compost farm

Coffee thermoses and ceramic cups encourage Associates to reduce waste

Communication boards highlight building wide initiatives and results

Associate LEED accreditation supported

America Recycles Day recognized to educate Headquarters Associates on green programs and initiatives

Earth Day recognized with an annual Green Fair

Identified Green Champions to assist with Associate education.


No comments:

Post a Comment